- Region: Kirinyaga, Embu, Nyeri, Muranga, Kiambu, Kangundo
- Varieties: Bourbon, SL 28, SL 34, Ruiru 11, Batian
- Alititude: 1,500-2,000 meters
- Soil: red volcanic
- Processing: fully washed
- Drying: Sun dried, African screen beds
- Aroma: bright, brown sugar, chocolate, floral
- Flavor: Blackberry, honey, sand plum
- Aftertaste: lingering, winy
- Acidity: bright, tangy
- Body: smooth, juicy, syrupy, silky
- Grade: AB plus
AB plus refers to screen size 16/17 and top cup quality. It is a fully washed coffee with a SCA score of ranging from 85-90.
Kenya is situated along the East African coast and the equator. The country is surrounded by Tanzania,Uganda, Ethiopia, and Somalia. Arabica coffee was first introduced by French missionaries in 1894. The first commercial plantations were established around 1908. Kenyan coffee is celebrated as one of the top bold and distinctive flavor profiles in the coffee world. Most of the top producing areas are found around the second tallest mountain in Africa, Mt. Kenya which stands at 5,199 meters. The rich volcanic soils coupled with an annual rainfall of around 1,000-1,200 mm makes the ideal climate to develop the top aroma and flavor notes. Each county has small farms that band together to form local growers associations and/or cooperatives as well as larger estates giving the country a diverse production base.
If you are local and would like to pick up your order:
Include that information in your order note or contact us and we will refund your shipping charge.